Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Bannock


Bannock is a staple of Bushcrafting and a good historical eat. It is quite simple to make and can be cooked either on an oil skillet, which is how I make it in the house, or over the fire either wrapped on a stick or set on a plank. An easier, and with less risk of losing it to the fire, is to wrap it in tin foil and place it in the coals. On my recent trip to Hawn State park I tried this method and it provided a very tasty breakfast that kept me going to well into the late morning.

My recipe for bannock is.
3/4 cup of flour
1/4 cup flax seed meal
1-2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

For a sweet bannock I will add 1 tbsp of brown sugar and some raisins. Cinnamon can be added as well as any other fruit. For a more savory style bannock to have with a dinner meal, garlic powder and oregano can be added. That is the beauty of bannock, the base recipe can accommodate many different flavors include a host of wild edibles.


No comments:

Post a Comment