Monday, April 29, 2013

Preparation for Another Adventure

I have spent the last week going over my gear for an up-coming adventure this weekend. It entails 33 miles on the Ozark Trail, some place I have never been but want to go.  The terrain looks tough with almost as much elevation gain as my River to River trail section but with half the mileage. Big hills to conquer. I have most everything dialed in, but had to add my gloves an hat due to lows of 35!  I hope the Insultex underquilt holds up and keeps me warm, this has been a problem in the past. However, I have the Enlightened Equipment Rev-X 20 degree quilt. That should work much better than my sleeping bag with the broken zipper. Since this is a Hammock Forums trip, I must have the hammock. Although there is a tiny box that came in the mail the other day. May it holds a rainbow or two. But that is for another day.

Today I sprayed my gear with Permethrin, an insecticide that will keep the masses of ticks at bay. It worked very well last year and I hope to be tick free again this year. I have a couple new items that I will try out. I was expecting warmer weather so I will be bringing my new Ex-Offico Air Strip Lite long sleeve shirt. I am hoping this shirt will handle the heat and let me use less sunscreen during the summer.  With highs in the 60s I am not sure it will get the warm weather workout it needs.  Lows of 35 with possible rain should be interesting.  It will be a good gear workout for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment